Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Have you had neer dosai?

Neer dosai is a mangalore or konkani recipe. I have had it in Commercial St, B'lore at Shiv Sagar and have always enjoyed it. While chatting with a friend a few days back, he mentioned that he made this dosa often. And gave me the recipe too.

Hmm I thought I'd try it this weekend, "tweak" the recipe if required and then post it. However, a certain chat with said friend earlier this evening bade me overcome my good intentions!!! Once I try it, will make amendments as needed (if and only if) and include some pictures too.

While doing some research on this dosai, I came across another konkani dish - paan pole. This looks exactly like a neer dosai and the ingredients are similar too.

They are different as my friend's recipe includes urad dal while the paan pole does not - surprisingly I didn't find any recipes that included urad dal. So, I must try both & see which I like best. While doing my 'research' I came across a suggestion - half an onion gives great flavour to this recipe. Hmmmm, so now that makes it 3 neer dosai recipes to try!!

This dish is traditionally eaten with jaggery syrup, I read. I have always had it with coriander and tomato chutneys. And of course the sambar! Other accompaniments are also suggested.

Made the neer dosai - one batch with urad dal & another with coconut. And a third with 1 & 3 mixed. They were all equally tasty. I loved it with jaggery and my husband with molagai podi.

Find my recipe for this dish here - Neer Dosai.

4 comments:

Arun said...

Wow!...awesome!! it's very well written!! looks like I have nothing to add to it ....the short desc followed by the recepie makes it complete. you get 10 on 10 for your neer dosai recepie!! Looks like you've really done some research on it too to check out for the picture and reference links

Ashwini said...

Hi Geetha, welcome to blogosphere and good luck with your new blog.
To add to the already ensuing confusion about neer dosa, I think paan pole is the Konkani take on this Mangalorean classic. My Tulu friend tells me that neer dosa and chicken curry is a mandatory Sunday lunch for them. And they dont add coconut.
Your friend's recipe sounds really interesting. Do post an update on your blog when you try it.

Geetha said...

Arun - thanks for the recipe & the 10 on 10!!

Ashwini - Thanks!! Will post updates once I've tried all variations!

Arun said...

Well..as Ashwini rightly mentioned, neer dosai will go well with chicken curry...specially with the Mangalorean chicken curry!!